From: "Cecelia Clancy" <>
Subject: [DNA] Amish and the Rest of PA Germans
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:16:02 -0400

When I supplied that URL in which is says that "the English Quakers and
German Amish" took in Native American refugees, I did qualify that with
words to the effect that "not all the Pennsylvania Germans are Amish and not
all the Amish live in Pennsylvania."

Even though the URL mentions only the Amish and the Quakers, I was wondering
if other Pennsylvania German groups in addition to "the Amish" took in
Native American refugees - you know, Dunkards, Schwenkfelders, various Swiss
Calvinist sects, many other Anabaptist sects, and even the Lutherans. All
these religions were among the colonial Pennsylvania Germans. There just
were not any Catholics (at least not openly) because when the British were
in the European mainland recruiting people to come to America, they
deliberately excluded Catholics.

And the URL might have also been making the mistake as saying "the Amish"
when they really meant "Pennsylvania Germans."

I'm not familiar with the author of that URL author of that URL. I just
tossed it in for consideration.

If somebody raised the possibility of crypto-Jewisness as a possible
explanation for EA showing up in PA Germans, it was not me. There are some
other posts I have not yet read for the past few weeks, so maybe somebody
else did.

My proposal was only that some PA Germans might have taken in Native
American refugees.

Regards,
Cecelia