Subject: Re: [DNA] Secrets of the Bog People
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:54:04 EDT

In a message dated 08/15/03 6:52:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> I asked, what is the mtDNA (?) haplogroup of the bog people discussed in
> the program. Apparently, they did not pin it down to a letter or one of
> Brian Sykes's "daughters." If anyone knows, please post.

Unfortunately, the show didn't have closed captions, so I was unable to
follow it due to my hearing problem. However, a little Googling led to a paper by
Hauswirth. It's rather old, but at least some of the data is in the
Mitochondrial DNA Concordance. If you enter the following phrase at Google

hauswirth site:shelob.bioanth.cam.ac.uk

then use your browser's Find function to locate records from Hauswirth,
you'll be able to see the raw data. If someone has time to cross-reference it with
haplogroup motifs, we could probably figure out the answer to your question
for those 14 cases.

The paper below is so old that I have to assume that the TV show was
referring to more recent work, but I didn't locate anything.

----

Hauswirth WW, Dickel CD, Rowold DJ, Hauswirth MA (1994) Inter- and
intrapopulation studies of ancient humans. Experientia 50:585-591
Experientia. 1994 Jun 15;50(6):585-91.

Inter- and intrapopulation studies of ancient humans.

Hauswirth WW, Dickel CD, Rowold DJ, Hauswirth MA.

Department of Immunology and Medical Microbiology, College of Medicine,
University of Florida, Gainesville 32610-0266.

For a genetic analysis of ancient human populations to be useful, it must be
demonstrated that the DNA samples under investigation represent a single
human
population. Toward that end, we have analyzed human DNA from the Windover
site
(7000-8000 BP). MHC-I analysis, using allele-specific oligonucleotide
hybridization to PCR amplified Windover DNA, microsatellite analysis by PCR
of
the APO-A2 repeat and mtD-loop 3' region sequencing on multiple individuals
spanning nearly the full range of estimated burial dates all confirm the
hypothesis that there is a persistence of both nuclear and mitochondrial
haplotypes at Windover throughout its entire period of use. Thus, Windover
can
be considered a single population. Neighbor-joining tree analysis of mtDNA
sequences suggests that some mitochondrial types are clearly related to
extant
Amerind types, whereas others, more distantly related, may reflect
genetically
distinct origins. A more complete sequence analysis will be required to
firmly
resolve this issue. Calibrating genetic relationships deduced by tree
analysis,
radiocarbon dates and burial position, yields a human mtD-loop DNA rate of
evolution of 3700 to 14,000 years per percent change. Both values are within
the
range of recent, independently calculated values using estimates of
evolutionary
divergence or theoretical population genetics. Thus we are beginning to
realize
the promise of ancient DNA analysis to experimentally answer heretofore
unapproachable questions regarding human prehistory and genetic change.

---

>http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/Miscellaneous/GENEALOGY-DNA.html
DNA preservation kits: http://www.dnafiler.com

This thread: