From: "Nancy Custer" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Re: Viking and Anglo-Saxon Haplogroups
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:47:22 -0700

>We are now searching to share genetic information with Icelanders,
>Shetlanders, Norwegians, Orkneys, Manx and Norwegians who have strong
>traditions of paternal descent from specific individuals in the 9th to
11th >centuries such as Ivar the Boneless, the Orkney Jarls, Olaf the
White of >Dublin,Magnus Barelegs etc. Do you have any Shetland
participants with >such family traditions ? Mark MacDonald

Mark,

There is an entry in an old Orkney history book reporting that two
illegitimate sons of Robert Stuart Earl of Orkney married two daughters
of Adreas Cursiter of Firth (in Orkney) in the mid 1500's. It is
suggested that they took the name Cursiter. My husband is a descendent
of the Curisters of Orkney. His DNA is pretty much the AMH with a
couple of unusual markers. The name Cursiter apparently has a Norse
derivation from the Norse words for cow (kyre) and pasture (setter.)
(You can imagine how thrilled my son was, at age eight, to learn that
his name was Kenny Cow Pasture!)

I haven't done much with his Cursiter DNA report yet but I did put it
online in a chart for my Dorsey DNA project to illustrate the
differences that are typical among surnames. His results will be the
numbers in the row labeled Custer (Cursiter is pronounced Custer in
Orkney so Walt's grandfather, apparently a thrifty man, dropped the
extra letters when he immigrated to the US.)
http://www.contexo.info/DorseyDNA/InterpretingTestResults.htm

He sort of matches some of the Stewart results I have seen, but Jim
Wilson tells me that there would never have been enough time for as many
mutations as it would have to get from them to him. I personally wonder
if there could have been a one time chunk loss at DYS 385b that is the
main source of his differences from the Stewarts and the AMH. From what
I know of the mechanism of slippage mutation I think large chunks of
several repeats could be lost occasionally though there is no data to
support that. I suppose with enough time and data, we might know
someday.

I doubt if you will find any match for him in your group because of the
unusual DYS 385 combo (both 11's) along with a somewhat unusual DYS 390
(25) and his continuing lack of variety for the 464 quartet (all 16's)
and the DYS 459 duo (both 9's) According to Jim Wilson, he matches
another Orkney Cursiter, whose family is also from the island of Sanday,
on all eight markers used for his study so he is at least representative
of the Cursiters from the island of Sanday. Since the name is derived
from a place name it would not be surprising if there were multiple
origins--even in Orkney. One of these days, we plan to round up some
other Cursiters from the Mainland to see if they are all of the same
origin.

Nancy

This thread: