From: "Kay Martin" <>
Subject: Re: DNA-newbie list - was RE: [DNA] Celtic Haplogroups
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:27:33 -0600

I would have to leave Jackie's question to one of our experts (left quoted here for any of you who have the answer.) While no longer "new", I am still vastly under informed and overwhelmed by all this.

But that said, I would vote to keep only the one list. When you start splitting lists up, it may seem like a good idea at the time, but it ends up with some people on one list and some on the other and only an occasional expert monitoring the "newbie" list to answer questions. I suppose a "chatty" sort of list for newbies would be fine and even fun, but they would still need to be on this list if they really want to learn what all our DNA can - and can not - tell us. How many people really have time to sift through all the mail that would be created by two lists. People come here hoping to learn answers to their questions and most of the time we all learn from the replies. They would want the same from a newbie list, but if only the newbies were there, who would be able to answer them?

Do hang in here with all of us... you'll be surprised at how interesting most of it becomes in a short time. Even if your like I am and don't understand a good bit of what is said. :-)

Kay