Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP test for J2
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:58:44 EST

In a message dated 11/20/03 6:52:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Hello -- I have a question I hope someone can shed some light on. My
> father's
> haplogroup test came back confirmed as J2, with an SNP of M172+ . What does
> the SNP stand for and what does something like M172+ mean?

SNP is an abbreviation for Single Nucleotide Polymorphism. One ("Single") of
the Nucleotides (the bases A, C, T, and G) on the Y chromosome has mutated to
another form (poly = many, "morph" is shape or form). This type of mutation
occurs very rarely. All men in the world have the original base except for this
one man, who becomes the founding father of a new group.

Researchers have catalogued a number of these mutations, which are useful in
building a tree and defining groups which are more or less closely related to
each other. M172 is one of these; the name doesn't mean anything; it's just a
catalog number, so to speak. You were listed as M172+, the mutation which
characterizes Haplogroup J2.

You can see the whole tree at

http://ycc.biosci.arizona.edu/nomenclature_system/fig1.html