From: "Palden" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA results- Cowan Surname Project
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:04:32 +1100

Dear Beth et al.,

There is in place, a principle, in cultural research which marks the degree of ones latitude.
Appropriation of another's cultural rights is one such area in question, where consultation with lineal descendants as inheritors-in-kind is, without question, the only way a project such as this can be undertaken.

In the field of cultural studies a professional observance of these inherent rights is the mark of legitimacy.
For such authenticity to take place three factors would need to be met.

1. DNA evidence,
2. Historical records and
3. Corresponding 'Oral Histories'.

In both 1. and 3. you would need to be in a pro-consultative relationship with cognate descendants. 2. Is the link between them.

On this list you will find those connected to Boone, the ancient Scottish Houses and others you have mentioned so far, all of whom are both historic and living.

It would be remiss of me not to mention this to you.

Looking forward to a bright new day!

Grant

Grant South B.A. Comm. FSA Scot.

Conflict Resolution Consultant