From: Jim Bartlett <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Garbage on DNA in Dick Eastman's Plus Edition
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:53:17 -0500 (EST)

Snip>Humour, comes with context. As a spoken monologue served up by a standup comic, eg to contributors to this list, perhaps hilarious. Written satire must be subtle, but an audience of amateur genealogists with ignorance, doubt, paranoia in their minds won't be attracted to DNA technology by this "heavy handed" sarcasm.
Sorry now I rocked Dicks boat, I realise his context, but he should know our problems.
Nuff said, I've cooled off. Its only 40 degree C here today!
Fred Vines<

Fred, et al;

I think Genealogy-DNA is a great tool, and we should tell EOGN and other groups (without humor/sarcasm/etc) how much we enjoy it and what it has done for us. I believe almost everyone who has started a Surname Project, or participated in one, has learned a lot from DNA - perhaps not always breaking down their own brick wall, but for the Surname in general. We don't send in DNA and get back a pedigree, but we do learn from the DNA results. We should "weigh in" on email groups, etc. and share our enthusiasm, and let the genealogists who don't realize it yet know what a powerful tool we now have in DNA. The DNA data and tools we have now will only grow and get better, along with our knowledge of our ancestors. We need to spread the word.

Jim Bartlett
BARTLETT-DNA Admin