From: doug mcdonald <>
Subject: [DNA] Separate mutation rates of each marker
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:29:46 -0800 (PST)

I have deduced the mutation rates used by Sorensen.

CAVEAT: this is a very tricky procedure which is
very sensitive to a certain normalization constant.
It also depends on them using the formulas 20a and
20b of Walsh's paper. Because of the great
sensitivity to parameter errors, the numbers that are
farthest from the average are subject to the worst
calculational errors, especially the SMALL ones.

In other words, BEWARE of these numbers. However,
because of the way it works, they should come
out in the correct order, smallest to largest.

ALSO NOTE: we have NO IDEA how Sorensen obtained
the numbers. They do say they are using the
multiple alleles model. We have no idea what THEIR
error bars are. We have NO IDEA how accurate my
back calculation is.

In other words, BEWARE of these numbers. However,
because of the way it works, they should come
out in the correct order, smallest to largest.
(Duplicate paragraph is not typo!)

NOTE: because of the way they are handling
the multiple copy markers (385, 389, 459, YcaII) there
is no info on the separate pieces.

But here they are:

385 .0066
388 .0006
389 .0020
390 .0045
391 .0035
392 .0015
393 .0012
19 .0015
426 .0006
437 .0020
438 .0011
439 .0045
447 .0045
448 .0028
449 .0075
454 .0006
455 .0006
458 .0066
459 .0028
460 .0028
461 .0028
462 .0005
ggaat1b07 .0013
ycaii .0028
ygataa10 .0045
ygatac4 .0028
ygatah4 .0036

the overall average is .0028 ... averaging over the
two marker ones only once.

The overall average is .0029 if you average
over each of the double marker ones twice.

the average over the FTDNA 12 marker set
(averaging over the two-marker ones twice) is .0029

the average over the 21 ones common to this and
the FTDNA25, using multiple copy ones twice, is .0031
(note that this leaves out 464)

Doug McDonald