From: OrinWells <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] SURPRISE DNA RESULTS
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:56:14 -0800

At 08:19 AM 3/17/2004, alani920 wrote:
>My brother just received his male line DNA results
>from Howard University. We believed the results would
>point to an area in Africa our paternal ancestors came
>from. Surprise, the results point to Columbia South
>America. We are trying to figure out how our ancestors
>from Columbia became, slaves in South Carolina.

One explanation could be that a female branch of your family married a
South American Indian or a North American Indian from the same ancestry
(from who knows where originally?) and thus the paternal line was not what
you might have expected despite the outward appearances that would have
indicated African descent. This may well be a maternal line
influence. Also remember that a large number of African Americans have
Caucasian paternal ancestry. After you dilute it a few generations you
would hardly anticipate it.

>It is all very interesting.
>
>Anita Wills
>
>=====
>The LeBoudin Publishing House Cafepress site:
>
>http://www.cafeshops.com/leboudin.8596808; $24.00 (credit card), offers
>$5.00 gift certificate after purchase, plenty of sales on merchandise;
>Leboudin publishing, site has Notes and Documents in perfect bound.
>
>Leboudin Publishing House Lulu site:
>
>For CD ROM, or download: http://www.lulu.com/leboudin
>
>The Bowden Website is located at:
>
>http://www.orgsites.com/ca/mpbwdnfnd/index.html
>

>==============================
>Gain access to over two billion names including the new Immigration
>Collection with an Ancestry.com free trial. Click to learn more.
>http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=4930&sourceid=1237

Orin R. Wells
Wells Family Research Association
P. O. Box 5427
Kent, Washington 98064-5427
<>
http://www.wells.org
Subscribe to the "Wells-L" list on RootsWeb

This thread: