From: "Dean McGee" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Some thoughts about the near future
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:38:38 -0500

> From: Peter J. Roberts [mailto:]
> I would like to predict that within the next decade we
> will be able to order affordable SNP tests that will
> determine which sub clad of our haplogroup we belong

Your message reminded me of an article someone posted on this list a
couple of months ago. This article quotes Harvard geneticist George
Church:

http://www.harvardmag.com/on-line/010453.html

<quote>
"I am convinced that we will want our personal genome possibly more than
we want a personal computer," Church says. Although obtaining such
information is extremely expensive at present, he anticipates that "the
same kind of people who pay to go into space" will soon be having their
genetic code deciphered. As for making personal genomes as affordable as
personal computers, he says, "I don't know what year that will be, but
it will probably happen so fast that people will be amazed."
</quote>

When he says it will "happen so fast that people will be amazed", I
believe him.

-Dean McGee

This thread: