From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplotype "Q" in Shetland Islands
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:35:29 -0400

David,

Re. Asian markers in Norway and from there to the Shetlands. The markers
could have come overland to Norway from the east too, like the other
Asian markers found in the other test could have gotten into the
European population ... via the numerous migrations/invasions and gene
flow due to trade and travel over time from Asian tribes from the east.

Charles

David Faux wrote:
> But how did an East Asian haplotype find its was to Norway considering that it is not (as I recall) seen in any samples of the surrounding countries. I have entertained the possibility that a group of Greenland Inuit were blown off course 2000 years ago - but what will be needed here is a SNP test since the samples were not broken into Q versus Q3 (which charactieizes Native American haplotypes). Since there are Greenland Inuit samples in the database, and no mathes emerged, it does seem unlikely, but there could be a founder effect here so who knows. Fascinating though, and will need to be intensely investigated.

> Dr. David K. Faux, P.O. Box 192, Seal Beach, CA, 90740, USA

This thread: