From: OrinWells <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] troublesome Y-DNA RESULTS
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 19:41:11 -0700

At 06:36 PM 5/29/2004, wrote:
>My dad's tests didn't match anyone he should have (or anyone ever
>tested!) and I wrote to Bennett at FTDNA about it. Ho offered a retest at
>their
>expense & Dad's markers turned out to match everyone he should have. Problem
>solved.

If I were a client of FTDNA seeing these stories where things don't match
that should have, I would be very concerned. Then they do a retest and
match. This indicates a serious screw up in their process somewhere. I am
not saying this to criticize FTDNA because I have no clue why this is
happening nor how often it has happened and I consider FTDNA to be as
qualified as the other major companies. But even one slip up like this is
troublesome. They should be expending resources to find explanations and
fix the root causes. The question has to be asked "how many others has
this happened to and no one knows about it?" Certainly FTDNA can't be
expected to tell us so we are only going to find out if someone posts a
message like the two recent examples. I can only assume that they have
looked at the batches where this happened and have verified that no other
samples in the same batch(es) were affected.

We have run over 150 samples through Relative Genetics without a hint of a
mistake. If they have messed up somewhere, I am totally unaware of
it. They did manually report one incorrectly and immediately corrected it
when I questioned them. In the last batch of 5 reported this week (all
within about 10 days of entry into the lab) we had a pretty good idea what
the outcomes should show and they were right on the money with no clue what
the answer was supposed to be. One was disappointing only in that it
matched the other fellow from the same family we were suspecting had an
illicit birth up his tree. If there was it was prior to the late 1700s.

Orin R. Wells
Wells Family Research Association
P. O. Box 5427
Kent, Washington 98064-5427
<>
http://www.wells.org
Subscribe to the "Wells-L" list on RootsWeb

This thread: