Subject: Re: [DNA] haplogroups defintions
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:26:19 EDT

In a message dated 06/11/04 6:16:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> >If
> >FTDNA did not have a
> >prediction for you, it would have to run dozens of
> >tests and the cost would be much
> >greater.
>

> Not dozens. A look at the chart says that a max of
> about
> 10 will do it, starting from no knowledge at all, if
> you do them sequentially.

Quite right, in theory and at least sometimes in practice. I often see the
phrase hierarchical testing in research articles, where large numbers of samples
are typed at the same time. I don't know the practicalities of hierarchical
testing for small batches though, in the quantity that FTDNA might be running.
You'd have to type one marker, wait for results, decide which marker to
amplify next, type it, wait for results... and there would be lots of customized
handling for each sample.

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html

This thread: