From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b Across Europe
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:26:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ken:

Yes, I recall well your observations, which got me to thinking about 37 markers.

Would you be able to summarize all your findings in a single post. I think that not only I but many others would appreciate having this in order to print out.

There is also a research article published in the last year (if I recall correctly) which used the YHRD database to explore this question - but I ignored it at the time since so few markers were being used. If you recall the article I would appreciate learning (again) its name - however I believe that I will eventually locate it on the FTDNA Library or Andrew Bond sites.

David.

Ken Nordtvedt <> wrote:
David, I found evidence for three modal haplotypes of R1b (probably
representing sub-clades) with different geographical distributions in
Europe. DYS390 and DYS391 are the clearest separators, although I also see
weaker correlations of those markers with 385a,b as well. Let's stick to
390/391 for this discussion.

Iberia and Paris and Ireland are very heavy on the 24/11 at 390/391. NW
Germany and Holland and Denmark are clearly heavier on the 24/10 and 23/11.

Scandinavia shows an interesting combination indicating a robust settlement
of R1b from the Iberian source and then additional influx of the more
Germanic variety of R1b. I find Denmark fascinating. Both with the R1b and
with the I1a, Denmark is more like Holland and NW Germany than it is
Norway/Sweden. Geography tells part of the story, of course. It's a clear
case where the genetic patterns are set before the linguistic.

As I mentioned in one of my messages to the List of a couple weeks ago, I
did not extend my analysis into eastern Europe because the numbers of R1b
fell off fast. Good luck over there getting statistically significant
results.

This analysis was done thanks to existence of the YHRD database.

Ken

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: