From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] J2 HG in Scotland
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:14:23 -0500

ellen Levy wrote:

> Doug, your question is an interesting one! I do think
> haplotype diversity within a single haplogroup is an
> important factor - sorry, I know you don't want to
> hear that.
>
> I think examining the migration paper of the
> haplogroup is extremely important. For instance, R1a1
> is found in very high proportions in Russia and
> certain populations of the Altai. What is it's spread
> out from these regions? Does it slowly taper off as
> you move away from the area you believe the haplogroup
> (or sub-clad) originated?

The point is that the subset of R1a that is very common in
Altaians (where R1a is near 50%) and common among R1a people in
Norway and in the McDonalds is not so important in central Russia,
where is R1a is also almost 50%.

Did these R1a people in Norway come from as far east as the
Altai, or did somebody in central Russia move up to Finland or
the nearby Russian Arctic, and their descendants then go
both east and west. The Altaians are a small population, and
even a few men could have been the ancestors of that large
proportion.

Doug McDonald

This thread: