From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] unexpected results
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:58:59 -0400

I'm the admin, so I can see the member's page. The results indicate no
match with any known haplogroup. The closest is a two-step mutation (n=1)
in group I. They suggest an SNP test.

The surname is STRAUB, which originates primarily from southern Germany
(Rhineland-Pfalz, Baden-W├╝rttember, and Bavaria), plus the adjacent
German-speaking part of Switzerland and the adjacent ethnic German enclave
of Alsace-Lorraine in France.

Testee #1 has a good pedigree back to W├╝rttemberg.

Testee #2 (my cousin) has a good pedigree (or so we thought) back to
Pennsylvania, and we grew up with a family tradition of being "Pennsylvania
Deutsch." My GG-grandfather, who was born in PA and moved to Ohio in 1822,
spoke German. Or, at least, I thought he was my GG-grandfather. Based on
circumstantial evidence, I had suspected we descended from a STRAUB who
immigrated in 1733. This immigrant probably has the most descendants of any
single STRAUB immigrant, so ultimately we should have many profiles from
this line. I was hoping the DNA would prove we are among this group. Ha!

Thank you for your input, Ann.