GENEALOGY-DNA-L ArchivesArchiver > GENEALOGY-DNA > 2004-08 > 1093112799
Subject: Re: [DNA] unexpected results
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:26:39 EDT
My advice would be as follows:
1. Have FTDNA recheck the questionable sample, before doing anything else,
2. Check the sample for matches with other surnames and see if any show up
in your tree.
3. Check the public databases to see if they match anyone else (might allay
your fears of it being a chimp!)
4. Something I haven't seen discussed on "non-paternity events," but
artificial insemination was successful first in something like 1963 -- and not
parents might have revealed this to their children. Could your cousin have been
the result of such a procedure?
5. Test up the line as R Estes suggested.
6. If none of this reassures you, have the test run at another lab, after
visiting your cousin and taking the swab yourself to make sure he doesn't have
his chimp do it!
My suspicion is you'll find reassurance before you get to #6.