From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] unexpected results
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:28:54 -0400

I've been working with the STRAUB surname (intensely) for six years, so I'm
aware of the variations. The earliest known STRAUB immigrant, a Palatine to
New York in 1710, converted immediately to STRAUP, and most of his
descendants then to STROPE or STROPES. Most other 18th century STRAUB
immigrations were to Pennsylvania, and most of them converted to STROUP,
which is the predominant variant, today, among those with an early
immigrant. There are many STROUPs, today, especially in the south, who had
a Dutch/Westphalian origin, STROOP. There were also two differant STRUB
immigrants, one to Pennsylvania, whose descendants are mostly STROUP, and
one to Virginia, whose descendants are mostly STROOPE.

I believe the early immigrants had the spelling of their name Anglicized
because they were illiterate farmers and didn't know how to spell their
name. Beginning in the mid-19th century, you see STRAUB immigrants hanging
on to the original spelling, I presume because they arrived literate and
able to spell their name. In the case of my family, although my (supposed)
GG-grandfather was born in PA in 1797, he was a merchant and literate, so we
retained the original spelling. Or at least we appear to have. Maybe the
problem is that the immigrant adopted STRAUB from something very different.

To a non-German, STRAUß may *look* like STRAUB, but it doesn't sound like
STRAUB. And while I've often seen long-s mis-read as f or p (by indexers
and extractors), I've never seen STRAUSS *convert* to STRAUB, or vice versa.
Similarly, STRAUBE may look as though it's just a variant of STRAUB, but in
German, the former is pronounced in two syllables (terminal E is not
silent). When Anglicized, it becomes STRAUBY or STRAWBEE. I've never seen
STRAUB and STRAUBE get mixed up in the U.S., and their origin in Germany is
geographically different.

All of this was learned the hard/slow way, of course. I have sections of my
web site devoted to each of these original surnames:

http://dgmweb.net/genealogy/Str/StrHome.shtml

And here I thought I was being so magnanimous supplying information on
STROOP, STRAUBE, and STRUB, in addition to STRAUB. It appears all my work
on STRAUB may have been a "donation" to genealogy, as well!

Thank you for your input,
Diana

P.S. If you go to my web site, the census records and indices are in chaos
because I'm reorganizing the files (dead links, etc.). Hope to get it all
straightened out this weekend.