From: Gary Felix <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b - or R*?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 07:42:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Everyone, I culled through about 20 unrelated R1b's in my project and looked at their FTDNA haplogroup information and came up with the following different non R1b, non R1a listings.

R1

Germany

Ashkenazi

1

R1

England

-

1

R1

France

-

1

R1

Ireland

-

1

R1

Israel

Arab

1

R1

Uzbekistan

-

1

R1

Germany

Ashkenazi (Munich)

1

R1b1

Greece

Aegean Islands

1

R1

Poland

-

1

R1b1

Greece

Peloponissos

1

According to FTDNA

R1 quite rare and found in south and central asia and europe.

Gary

Mexico DNA project admin.

Doug McDonald <> wrote:
I wrote:

> The most likely explanation is that either P25 or SRY10831 [sic] is
> not REALLY the correct marker to use for getting R1b or R1a, or that
> some lab somewhere is goofing in doing the typing on some marker or
> other. That European paper is so bizarre that I think the latter is
> likely. It is CLEARLY not distinguishing populations, but rather labs.

Another thought .... let's ask Ripan Malhi what he thinks about
this, since he is strongly into SNP tests.

Doug