From: "Whit Athey" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] R1b - or R*?
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:08:22 -0400

David, I agree completely. While the Al-Zehery article (Iraq), the
Cinnioglu paper (Anatolia), and the Kivisild paper (India) are not exactly
heartland Europe, I find it hard to believe that the results on R1b in these
studies could be that far off from reflecting the situation in neighboring
European countries to their north and west. In both the Cinnioglu and
Kivisild studies, P25 was tested, along with other markers within R, and
while there were a few individuals found in R1*, R2, and R1c, there were
many times that number of regular R1b-P25's, R1b3-M269, and R1a1-M17. They
even checked for, and found several R1b2-M73 and R1b4-M335, but the R1b3's
were most prevalent by far. I also believe that there is something very
wrong with the EDNAP results, but share Dennis's puzzlement as to how they
could have gone wrong.

Whit