Subject: Re: [DNA] New J study [Y-STR markers]
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:40:02 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/04 11:04:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> DYS 19 :15, DYS 388 : 14, DYS 390: 23, DYS: 11, DYS 393: 12.
> Unfortunately I do not have country of origin for my line. I can only trace
> back to 1802, here in the US.

The article http://www.ftdna.com/pdf/HaploJ.pdf has a table (see the
Appendix) listing the Y-STR results for their samples. They used only a small number
of markers (sufficient for their purpose of seeing how many different
haplotypes were found in each sub-haplogroup, an indirect way of estimating their
relative ages).

With this small number of markers, we're going to see the same haplotype
occuring in different sub-haplogroups. For example, the modal (single most common)
haplotype for J1 (14-16-23-11-12) was also found in J2f*(xJ2f1). The modal
haplotype for J2f*(xJ2f1) 14-15-23-11-12 is only one step different from J1, and
it is also found in J1. The STRs aren't stable enough for us to draw too many
conclusions about haplogroups and geographic locations, especially
considering they used just five markers.

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html

This thread: