Subject: Re: [DNA] Jefferson-Hemings DNA
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:11:45 EDT

In a message dated 10/23/2004 11:00:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> I am curious, does the Hemings family have any oral history of this and
> if so, what does it say?
>
> Roberta

Yes, the oral history of the Hemings family has ALWAYS identified Thomas
Jefferson as their ancestor. Sally Hemings certainly knew the nature of her
relationship with Thomas Jefferson. And so did her children. That relationship has
been common knowledge throughout the history of the Hemings family. However,
the apologists for Thomas Jefferson would prefer that you completely disregard
the oral history of the Hemings family as mere "rumor." But, as the Strom
Thurmond case demonstrates, the oral history of these African-American families can
be more accurate than the "sanitized" version of history we are sometimes
fed.

Regards,
Bill

This thread: