From: Charles <>
Subject: Begetealogy and Parentealogy - new words for this new field of GeneticGenealogy
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:58:20 -0500

All:

We are pioneers in a fast evolving new field, i.e., Genetic Genealogy.

We already have some new coined words and phrases in this new field of
Genetic Genealogy. For example: Anthrogenealogy from FamilyTreeDNA.com
for a special category of Genetic Genealogy research. And Genetealogy
for Genetic Genealogy in general from Ann Turner and Megan Smolenyak in
their new book, "Trace Your Roots with DNA ...".

The coined words Anthrogenealogy/Anthrogenealogist addresses the special
category of genealogists who are primarily focusing on taking their
personal genealogy research beyond recorded history.
Genetealogy/Genetealogist is a word that Ann and Megan coined to
describe the merger of Genetics and Genealogy, i.e., Genetic Genealogy.

I have coined two more words for my upcoming new edition of my new
Genetic Genealogy DNA Testing Dictionary to describe some Genetic
Genealogy special categories such as those who are primarily interested
in the use of Genetic Genealogy and Genealogy tools for determining
their immediate, but currently unknown to them, biological ancestry.

Here are my two new words and my definitions:

Begetealogy - /pronounced be•get•e•al•o•gy/ - The process of searching
for one’s biological father and/or in some cases their biological
grandfather. They know their biological mother but not their biological
paternal line ancestry. This is a word coined by Charles Kerchner
created by combining the words Beget (to sire or to father) and
Genealogy to describe those engaged in Genetic Genealogy and Genealogy
who don’t know their paternal line biological ancestry and are mainly
focused on and searching for their biological father and/or grandfather.
Compare Parentealogy, Anthrogenealogy, and Genealogy. See Begetealogist.

Parentealogy - /pronounced par•ent•e•al•o•gy/ - The process of searching
for one’s biological parents and/or in some cases one’s biological
grandparents. This is a word coined by Charles Kerchner created by
combining Parent and Genealogy to describe those engaged in Genetic
Genealogy and Genealogy who were orphaned and/or adopted and don’t know
their biological ancestry and are mainly focused on and searching for
their biological parents and/or biological grandparents. Compare
Begetealogy, Anthrogenealogy, and Genealogy. See Parentealogist.

Comments welcome. If comments are lengthy, probably best to send them to
me privately. By the way, prior buyers who ordered within 45 days of
last edition will receive a free upgrade and/or new page inserts.

I was trying to come up with another new word to complete the set of
terms for the various sub-categories of the new genetic genealogists
which would describe a person who knows their biological father, but not
their biological mother and/or biological maternal grandmother, and is
using Genetic Genealogy and Genealogy tools to try and learn more about
her biological mother and/or biological maternal grandmother. But so far
I have not been able to come up with a good one which has an good "ring"
to it and conveys the right meaning. Anyone have a suggestion?

Charles Kerchner
Emmaus PA
www.geneticgenealogydictionary.com

This thread: