Subject: Re: [DNA] MRCA = 800 AD
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:55:42 +0000

Je ne comprends pas Ken. The proposal is not that they share any autosomal genes, only a Y chromosome. On paper they match up in the direct male line. They share the same rare values at some DYS markers, and the number of mutations which separate them is entirely within the expected range. What more could one request than this sort of data?

David.

> Since there are 6 out of 25 differences I would not call the haplotypes
> "identical" by either descent or whatever people call the alternative. But
> using an average marker mutation rate of 1/300 (I think you slipped a
> digit), I estimate with 25 markers there should on average be a mutation
> every 12th generational transfer of the yDNA. In 90 such transfers the
> expected number should be 7 1/2, so you seem in the ballpark. But as I
> indicated a few times earlier in 2004, neither present day descendant should
> expect any of his genes to have originated from these Norman Viking
> brothers.
>
> Ken

This thread: