From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] MRCA = 800 AD
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:58:40 -0700

Garvey generated some interesting bar graphs showing the distribution of
differences between haplotypes of the major European haplogroups from their
groups' modal values. For R1b the most likely distance was 8 steps. If you
want to convert this into differences between any two random haplotypes of
the R1b haplogroup, multiply by square root of two I believe. So that would
be 11. I interpret this to mean that if you had no other information at all
and you had two R1b haplotypes differing at 11 of 25 markers, then they can
be expected to be no more related than two randomly picked members of the
world's entire R1b population who derive from the R1b founder who lived tens
of thousands of years ago.