Subject: Re: [DNA] MRCA = 800 AD
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:27:20 +0000

Phil:

Indeed it is a stretch, but Jean cites "Norman sources" and I do not have the time or inclination to check out each generation. All I can say is that "given the assumption that in fact the documentary record is correct as it is shown on paper, then"........................... Actually I don't think that we can dismiss all of the early genealogies. Jean has an extremely rare French surname which has stayed the same, but with "Le" or "Mal" in front of it back to 1049 and then changes as expected according to the times to "Fitz" so and so and at that point the historical sources and so on offer information on families (as his) who were vicomtes or comtes (count, member of the aristorcracy). I have no investment in this, but the paper and DNA match so I will let the two draw their own conclusions.

David F.

> It seems to me that this could only be proven by testing "up the ladder,"
> perhaps 10 generations at a time (in the two different lines) and tracing
> the mutations back in time. This would provide an unbroken chain of DNA
> evidence back to the MRCA. First, however, you need a solid paper trail.
> This exercise and the assertion of a 44 generation genealogy would seem to
> be quite a stretch, to me. Thanks.
>
> Phil Goff

This thread: