From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] MRCA = 800 AD
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:56:20 -0700

My French is not good, but I think "ne comprends" means "don't understand"?
My comment about sharing no autosomal genes was just poking fun at folks
interested in descent from historical figures of 1000 years ago. Somewhere
after 10 generations my interest turns to tribes or specific valleys of
people as ancestors. With all the jokes and light comments appearing on
this site which are basically disconnected from our List's subject area, I
thought I'd try one more directly on subject.

This issue of how sharing values or off-modal values at the very slow
mutating markers is fascinating. No one to my knowledge has explored
quantitatively how this should sway our interpretations. Clearly for some
"after the fact" situations, where a mutation occurs should not be
considered. But suppose the question is posed this way: Two people differ
from each other at some small number n out of total N markers, but they also
share a very rare, off-modal repeat value for their haplogroup at some
particular marker. How does this latter information change our
probabilities of something concerning the two individuals?
Ken