From: Jim & Marie Wilcox <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] R1a1 - M17 as an Ancestral (circa 9000 YBP) North American Lineage
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:48:45

Dear List,

There is an old legend about the Mandan People of the Ohio River Valley
area that supports that there was an Indian group that had blue and green
eyes. The story goes that pre-colonization (Mayflower, etc), a group of
Welshmen arrived and were taken in by the Mandan people. Another take on
this was that the adoptees were Portuguese....This story was recorded by
Lewis and Clark on their travels when they reached the Mandan Village as
told to them.

Another noteworthy point and fact:
The Blackfoot Nation, Idaho/Montana, are Type A blood versus the standard
Type O blood and lived in relative isolation until Lewis and Clark. They
also have freckled skin and some are fair complexioned.

Of course the key here is that this information is specifically
"pre-colonization". The various Indian Nations have their own take on their
historial encounters with non-indian peoples.

Marie

At 02:08 PM 12/27/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>I think some of the Cherokees had hazel or blue-eyed children...

This thread: