Subject: Re: [DNA] Huguenot DNA?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:14:40 EST

In a message dated 01/18/05 9:19:10 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Does anyone know of a database containing Huguenot DNA? Specifically,
> Huguenots in England.
> I know it would be typical of French DNA, but I'd like to see the
> haplotypes. Anything on French
> haplotypes would be appreciated.

I did a quick search of PubMed, and I didn't find anything specifically about
Huguenots. The Huguenots would be an example of a smallish founder
population, but they would be a random collection out of the population at large as far
as their Y chromosomes are concerned. But you could start a Huguenot project
(or collect data from various surname projects into one place. There's a
project with a similar goal for Mennonitese listed at

http://worldfamilies.net/regional_project.htm

Even the French are sparsely represented, possibly because of a national
policy about DNA databases. This article at PubMed has no abstract, but it
probably describes data that was entered in YHRD (since the title mentions nine
STRs).

=====

J Forensic Sci. 2003 Jan;48(1):242-4.

French allele frequencies and haplotypes of nine Y-specific STRs.

Keyser-Tracqui C, Ricaut FX, Blandin P, Ludes B.

Institut de Medecine Legale, 11 rue Humann, 67085 Strasbourg Cedex, France.

PMID: 12570246 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

===

If you go to http://yhrd.org and select "Population Analyses," there will be
some French cities in the drop-down list. If you click on those, it will give
you the 20 most common haplotypes.

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html

This thread: