From: Charles <>
Subject: Diagrammatic example of how to count Unique Transmission Events (UTEs)from the Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) in a surname project
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:17:35 -0500

All:

I have drawn a diagrammatic example of how to count Unique Transmission
Events (UTEs) from the Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) in a surname
project. I used my Kerchner Surname Project as an example. In my
example, the immigrant to Pennsylvania in 1741 is not the MRCA.
Frederick, born in 1750, the only known son of the immigrant is the
MRCA. Fortunately for my project Frederick had several sons. This point
may be true in other projects too. Depending on your project the MRCA
could be your immigrant ancestor, someone back in the homeland, or
someone more recent in your chart. Knowing the number of UTE's is
necessary to calculate the correct average Y-STR mutation rate within
your surname project.

Using the diagrammatic approach all you have to do is draw the direct
line of descent branches in chart form, draw the dots where appropriate,
and count the dots. This example will help you visualize the concept and
process of counting UTEs.
http://www.kerchner.com/utecountingdiagram.htm

This is a new graphic tool I developed to assist Surname Project
Administrators wishing to contribute their observed Y-STR average
mutation rate data in their surname project to my new Surname Projects
Y-STR Haplotype Average Mutation Rate Log and study project.
http://www.kerchner.com/cgi-kerchner/ystrmutationrate.cgi

Synergy at Work.

Charles Kerchner
Emmaus PA