From: "Fran Akridge" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Value of the mtDNA Test
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:58:48 -0500

H. D. Smith wrote:
" My great-grandmother was born in Western NC in 1869. I have talked with
older relatives who knew her, including her youngest daughter, and they say
without hesitation that her mother was Native American."
If you can test your G-Grandmother's daughter's daughter's etc., you will
learn the haplogroup of your G-G-grandmother. If that haplogroup is A, B,
C, D, or - maybe - X, it will confirm Native American. If it is U5a1a, you
will be included with many of us that have Amerindian legends, but no
currently recognized proof.

There is always the possibility that your G-Grandmother was Amerindian via
her father only - in which case it will not show in the mtDNA.

Fran Akridge

This thread: