From: Philip Turner <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Racial groups / genetic profiles
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:48:15 -0800 (PST)

This makes (what is left of) my hair stand on end. White, African-American and Hispanic are poorly defined terms. An Hispanic is someone who was born in Latin American, or who has Latin American ancestors "en cuatro costadas" (on all four bedposts). In fact, his ancestry could be Native American, European, Jewish, Arab or even East Asian. To a lesser extent, the same is true of the terms "White" and "African-American." I am fully prepared to doubt whatever else the article has to say.

Phil

wrote:
This is a press release for an article in the current American Journal of
Human Genetics:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-01/sumc-rgm012705.php

Here's the citation from PubMed. Free full text becomes available 6 months
after the publication date.

===

Am J Hum Genet. 2005 Feb;76(2):268-75. Epub 2004 Dec 29.

Genetic structure, self-identified race/ethnicity, and confounding in
case-control association studies.

Tang H, Quertermous T, Rodriguez B, Kardia SL, Zhu X, Brown A, Pankow JS,
Province MA, Hunt SC, Boerwinkle E, Schork NJ, Risch NJ.

Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center,
Seattle, WA, USA.

We have analyzed genetic data for 326 microsatellite markers that were typed
uniformly in a large multiethnic population-based sample of individuals as
part of a study of the genetics of hypertension (Family Blood Pressure Program).
Subjects identified themselves as belonging to one of four major racial/ethnic
groups (white, African American, East Asian, and Hispanic) and were recruited
from 15 different geographic locales within the United States and Taiwan.
Genetic cluster analysis of the microsatellite markers produced four major
clusters, which showed near-perfect correspondence with the four self-reported
race/ethnicity categories. Of 3,636 subjects of varying race/ethnicity, only 5
(0.14%) showed genetic cluster membership different from their self-identified
race/ethnicity. On the other hand, we detected only modest genetic
differentiation between different current geographic locales within each race/ethnicity
group. Thus, ancient geographic ancestry, which is highly correlated with
self-identified race/ethnicity--as opposed to current residence--is the major
determinant of genetic structure in the U.S. population. Implications of this genetic
structure for case-control association studies are discussed.

PMID: 15625622 [PubMed - in process]

===

Conceptually, this technique is similar to DNAPRint / Ancestry by DNA's
"BioGeographical Ancestry" test, although DNAPrint uses SNPs instead of
microsatellites (STRs).

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html