From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Dividing R1b - Look at DYS 456
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:42:19 -0700

Really not much to say. In Sorenson there were 199 24/11/13 haplotypes
which is down from the peak 761 with 16 repeats. Statistical differences
between populations means less for individual haplotypes. The differences
for populations in some sense is supporting evidence for the existence of
the defined populations, but for an individual it simply tilts the odds as
to which large population he originated in. Until you know the different
geographies or other attributes of the large populations, this does not mean
much. And in the case of DYS 456, you see it has a large spread relatively
speaking compared to other more normal or slowly mutating markers.

I should add I just looked at DYS 456 for the 24/10/13 and 23/10/13
varieties of R1b which the Scots believe are particularly common up in their
part of the world. In both cases 15 repeats was the most common but not by
a large margin over 16.

Ken