Subject: RE: [DNA] Genealogy and DNA LIMITATIONS: Understanding exactly how tests reinforce folk ideologies.
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:20:07 +0000

Whit:

My point was not to put a definitive haplogroup designation on Peter's haplotype, which is not possible with 10 markers and a rare happlotype, it is that you cannot "diagnose Viking" from a single marker. I really don't know, what Peter's haplogroup is. Toss it in your haplogroup predictior and see what comes out the hopper.

OA does not offer a Haplogroup Database and a haplogroup predictor as does FTDNA with even their 12 marker offering. This is one for SNP testing, but quite frankly I wouldn't know where to start so would have to approach it as a "world - wide" test in the manner that Trace Genetics does at present. I don't recall when I last saw a DYS390=22 in an R1a haplotype - yes I do, never. Do you know of any M17 SNP tested haplotypes that have emerged with DYS390=22? I have seen a 23 in Cinnioglu's paper. G2 is modal 11 at DYS392, and DYS390=22 is also modal for some of the databases here. If I was SNP testing Peter, I certainly wouldn't start with M17. Also add in Eb3 - same scenario as G2. These are both more likely than R1a but the only litmus test is more Y-STRs or a haplogroup SNP test.

David F.