From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Age" of R1b
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:12:22 -0500 (EST)

Mike wrote:
> I agree with Malcom's comment:
>
> > Since we know that the Inuit can live in very cold climes we should not
> > assume that all mankind had to shelter in the refuges in the LGM.

It isn't just temperature that gets in the way. As a matter of fact,
it doesn't take much of a temperature reduction to start an Ice Age,
since there is plenty of snow in the temperate-to-sub-Arctic zone.
All it takes is cool enough summers that the snow never quite all
melts. The problem is the ICE, which covers the entire surface at low
elevations as well as high and prevents the growth of plants and
thereby cuts off the food chain. The Inuit can live in two kinds of
cold places: coastline (where they can live on seafood) and tundra
(where they can live on grazers). The trouble with an Ice Age is that
the ice-free zones, if any, are free of ice only because it never
snows there, and that means the tundra dries up and becomes a desert.
Meanwhile, the seacoast is no picnic if the ice sheet flows out over
the water.

John Chandler

This thread: