From: "Dra. Ana Oquendo Pabón, MD"<>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Dividing R1b - Look at DYS 456
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:45:06 -0500

Robert,

What is your 4th great grandfather's first name and second surname? I
have several tomes on San Sebastián and Guipúzcoa (some with over 700
plus pages and NO indexes) with records from year 1200-1500, and notary
records and pleitos from the Archive of the Monastery of San Bartolomé
from the years 1200s to 1800s. My ancestors were one of the founding
families of Donostía. As far as I can tell from an archive of the
"Perfil Social de la Oligarquia de San Sebastián", (Social Profile of
the Oligarchy of San Sebastián) the Tarin surname was not listed for
that period. In a census for 1832 of the residents contributing to
Donostia's annual subsidy, no Tarins were listed. I can check to see if
I find anything else in the pleitos (again no index so may take a
while). There is also some information on documents from San Sebastian
in the General Archives at the Chanchilleria of Valladolid. Probably
the best place for you to look is in the ecclesiastical records of the
Basilica of Santa María in San Sebastián (originally a hermitage founded
and used by the Oquendo family in medieval times).

If you are interested, I would be happy to scan you a beautiful antique
color pictotograph of Donostia done in 1560 where the Latin text states
that the residents of the Villa of San Sebastián referred to their home
as Donostía.

Regards,
Ana

This thread: