From: Charles <>
Subject: Tinney surname back to 4000 B.C.
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:10:06 -0500

Tom,

Yes, "preponderance of the evidence" is the method used by most
experienced genealogists to reach conclusions about their research. Both
positive reinforcing evidence and negative non-reinforcing evidence must
be considered and explained for the case at hand, before a reasonable
conclusion can be drawn. DNA testing is a new form of evidence. Have you
used DNA testing for your Tinney surname research project? If not, why
not? One should consider all forms of evidence, both traditional paper,
historical, and scientific, in my opinion. And DNA testing is a new
scientific form of evidence for genealogical use. Have you used DNA testing?

Charles

V. Chris & Tom Tinney, Sr. wrote:
> Charles wrote:
>> Tom,
>> I saw this posting in another site that seems to indicate that you
>> have allegedly traced your Tinny surname back to 4000 B.C. Have you
>> used any DNA testing to validate your research?
>>
>> http://eclectic.ss.uci.edu/~drwhite/pgraph/genealogy.html
>

> "The Tinney Surname study, back to 4,000 B.C.",
> only attempted to online some information as found
> in record sources allegedly dating back to circa 4000 B.C.
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/timetab.html
> . . .
>
> Tracing through time, the Tinney, or any other family
> Surname, is done by gathering a preponderance of
> evidence. This is complicated by historical dates,
> which are so uncertain, as listed in various cultures. The year 5508
> B.C., was the date given for
> the beginning of Creation, as used in the Eastern
> Orthodox Church, from the 7th Century, at
> Constantinople (now, Istanbul, Turkey),
> and on through the 18th Century, in other areas
> of Eastern Orthodox influence. Syrian Christians
> in very early times stated 5490 B.C. as the beginning
> of Creation. James Ussher (1581-1656) calculated
> from the Holy Scripture that October 23, 4004 B.C.
> was the beginning of Creation. According to
> the Hebrew calendar, probably designed by Hillel II,
> in the 4th Century, (and basically used from the 15th
> Century, by the Hebrew [Jewish] Nation), the year
> of Creation was calculated as 3760 B.C. The Mayan
> calendar, a system used on the American Continent,
> gives the Creation date as February 10, 3641 B.C.
> . . .
> http://www.academic-genealogy.com/tingeo.htm

> New! Family Tree Maker 2005. Build your tree and search for your
> ancestors at the same time. Share your tree with family and friends.
> Learn more:
> http://landing.ancestry.com/familytreemaker/2005/tour.aspx?sourceid=14599&targetid=5429

This thread: