Subject: Re: [DNA] Unusual R1b Results?
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 19:40:43 EST

In a message dated 03/04/05 3:10:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> But he has no matches at either 12 or 25 markers, which I find surprising.

Not so surprising, given the "haplotype diversity" we find in databases.
There are many people who can find no matches, even at http://yhrd.org, which uses
only nine markers in most cases. The current state of the Eurasian samples
has 22,970 records, with 10,520 *distinct* haplotypes. That means that there are
many cases where a haplotype is represented by just one sample. Every time a
new population is added, there are novel haplotypes. Each additional marker
you add increases the number of distinct haplotypes, too.

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html

This thread: