From: "AAF" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "German" Surnames/Hightower.
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:56:17 -0000

LLoyd,

<>In England, the "high" in your "Hightower" name might refer to a split
township of a place with a name such as Tor, Taw, Tarn, etc, etc, with one
half on high ground and the other piece, at a short distance, on "lower"
ground.
<> There are many English family names containing "High" as in Highgate,
Highbridge, Highbury, etc.
<> My reference book on English place-names mentions places previously
called Towersey and Towerthorpe, and i vaguely recall seeing a placename
somewhere in England - High Towersley - but can't remember where, exactly.
Alan Foster.
========