From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Answers geared for newbies re surname projects?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:18:01 -0700

Melissa, Perhaps there is more than one person who makes haplogroup
assessments at FTDNA? I am now starting to see that FTDNA will estimate I1a
now and then when DYS 455 = 8 appears, but clearly they often are not doing
that. I would guess that if you recontacted them and pointed that out,
they'd probably give I1a their blessing. Right now they do not SNP test for
I1a, only the broader classification I, and I1b. At some "future" date they
are promising a comprehensive super haplogroup I SNP test which will
hopefully discriminate down to the sub-group level. But it is not here yet.

Ken