From: (Raymond Whritenour)
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNAPrint, Native American
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:02:22 -0500

Crystal wrote:

I was just curious if say one has 14% NA .. would the MLE's be the same
for everyone that has 14%? Or (what I'm thinking) is everyones different
based on the their "criteria" meaning if marker 1 is found in 99% of NA
and only 1% of IE then that would tighten the probability contours?

ALL MLE'S WOULD BE 14% OF THE DISTANCE ABOVE THE BASE OF A TRIANGLE
WHOSE APEX IS THE "NATIVE AMERICAN" CORNER OF THE CHART. HOWEVER, THEIR
LATERAL POSITION WOULD VARY, DEPENDING ON WHAT OTHER MINORITY ANCESTRY
PERCENTAGES, IF ANY, THERE ARE.

THERE PROBABLY AREN'T ANY MARKERS FOR "NA" THAT ARE SO DRAMATICALLY
SIGNIFICANT AS THE ONE YOU POSIT, BUT IT WOULD STILL BE NICE TO KNOW
WHAT THEIR DISTRIBUTION AMONG THE FOUR BIO-GEOGRAPHICAL GROUPS IS.

My triangle chart is
http://www.geocities.com/mywebtree/abydna/plot.jpg

THIS CHART SHOWS A VERY HIGH PROBABILITY (95%)THAT YOU HAVE "SOME LEVEL"
OF NA ANCESTRY; THOUGH THAT LEVEL COULD BE ANYWHERE FROM ABOUT 1% TO
ABOUT 30%. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY MORE.

(another thing is that I wish they would have put % markers across the
bottom rather than us eyeball what 25%, etc. would be at.)

DO IT YOURSELF, WITH A RULER AND PENCIL.

RAY WHRITENOUR

This thread: