From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 385a,b(K) again
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:48:23 -0500

David,

When I sent my chewed gum sample in Thursday of last week, Tom Krahn
specifically cautioned me NOT to put the chewed gum into any plastic
bags or baggies. He said they had some problems with samples put into
plastic bags. He said based on their experiences it is better to wrap it
in paper. I wrapped mine in a fresh sheet of white copier paper,
flattened it out a bit and sent it over as an air mail letter. Just
passing along the instructions I got of what to do and what not to do.

If Tom is reading this message, maybe he can elaborate more on why
sending the chewed gum in plastic baggies is not as good.

Charles
http://www.kerchner.com/dna-info.htm

David Wilson wrote:
> Crystal,
>
> You would need to ask Thomas Krahn directly () whether he is
> still offering the free "directionality" assessment on DYS385. My sense is
> that he has either begun offering the test commercially or is about to do
> so. But I can't speak for him.
>
> When I sent in my gum sample, I just put it in one of those small ziplock
> bags that you sometimes get when you buy loose washers or other small parts
> at hardware stores. They're about 1.5 in by 3 in. with the opening on the
> short side. Actually I put the gum in one bag, folded it, and put that one
> inside another small ziplock bag. You can also buy these bags at office
> product stores, but in pretty large quantities.
>
> If your dad is R1a, based on the Kittler study we would expect him to show
> (K) values for 385 that are the same as the numerical sort values --
> low-high, or 11,15. A different result would give us all food for thought.
>
> David Wilson

This thread: