From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Conclusions in Strasbourg?
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:10:42 -0700

David, We first have to go out and MEASURE the heck out of the haplotype
distributions. Only then will we know how much of the trace of people
settlement patterns and migrations in the past remain in the present-day
data. It is not worth losing sleep about from a theoretical angle. I think
our goal is to find out ALL the information that really exists in the
present-day data --- but no more!

One thing that occured to me: I'm generally thinking from the perspective
of movements of peoples, and that's what I am interested in. As I have
mentioned in the past, after about 10 generations back most of our ancestors
have individually left us no genes at all, so what matters beyond then are
the tribes our ancestors were part of because such tribes and regional
populations are what held our genes in this more distant past.

You seem to be thinking more from the perspective of an individual
genealogy. The genetic profile of a people which more or less moved around
the world as a whole is a more trackable thing than trying to trace the
route of an individual genealogy. That's why I have said on many occasions
that information learned about populations just tilts the odds about the
deeper origins of an individual's haplotype. I don't have higher
expectations; but enough good tilts of the probabilities starts to soon take
on the flavor of just about everything else we think we "know".

This high mixing and moving hypothesis you are entertaining should certainly
leave a kind of structure or lack thereof in today's European distribution
of the haplogroups and haplotypes. I really doubt it would be anything like
what we are seeing, but it is probably calculable by the academic theorists.

Ken

. Perhaps Ken, it is more that I am less accepting than you about the
population continuity of any place in Europe except perhaps the Basque
country. The recent study in the AJPA brought this home for me.

> David F.

This thread: