From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Conclusions in Strasbourg?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:55:49 -0600

wrote:

> It seems to me that this study could be very
> significant for those of us (myself included) who look at todays
> haplotypes in an area (e.g., the Altai Mountains in the case of my
> research) and project backwards in time making what might be
> unwarranted assumptions.

With a small group like in the R1a Altai .... of which I have
an acute concern since they are clearly related to me
at some remove .... the concern is not that we can't eventually
determine their relation to us, but that they might have simply moved.
Such a small group, in such an unpopulated place, could have
moved a long way, in one or more steps, since the common ancestor
between them and me lived. But even so, one doubts that they
didn't have a common progenitor in Siberia or perhaps
one of the "istans" just to its souther border (i.e. Scythians?)

Of course, in this case we have dated mummies, which is a big help.

Doug McDonald

This thread: