From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: : Jewish Genes and Jewish Genealogy
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:44:25 -0800 (PST)

Eric:

There is a common shared genetic heritage that ties
together Jewish groups. This goes back to shared
nationalistic history in ancient Israel as well as
later in the Diaspora, in Europe. A shared ancestral
origin is often times part of the definition of
"ethnicity."

Further, there appears to have been a high enough rate
of endogamy, coupled with exclusion from certain other
groups, that resulted in the creation of certain
ethnic "markers" within Jewish populations. MtDNA
haplogroup K is a good example of this. There are
specific haplotypes within haplogroup K that are
indicative of Ashkenazi ancestry because they are
restricted to Ashkenazi groups.

Ellen Coffman