From: "John Brooks" <>
Subject: Re: Appalachian Gaels (WAS: RE: [DNA] Early Muslims inAmerica)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:41:38 -0500

Flanagans go way back in Greenville, Pitt County, North Carolina
(central eastern third of state).

>>> 03/14/05 12:37PM >>>
My Flanagans ended up in Western North Carolina in the late 1700s and
then in Kentucky. Other Flanagans settled in various parts of the
region. I know also that there were Coffeys, Downeys, and other Irish
families. Certainly not a great majority but they did settle the region
in fair numbers.

G. O'F.

--
G. O'Flannagain

Web Page: http://flanaganfamily.org
DNA Project Page: http://dna.flanaganfamily.org
DNA Project Results:
http://dna.flanaganfamily.org/FlanaganHaplotypes.html

---- Ken Nordtvedt <> wrote:

=============
I actually was not aware that many Catholic Irish settled in
Appalachia.
This area received overwhelmingly the Scot-Irish from the lowlands who
believe spoke a strong dialect of English. But I'd be interested in
different knowledge on this subject since one of my most important and
stubborn lines of research were Ulster Scots who ended up in
(northern)
Appalachia. (SW PA). I know of pockets of Highland Scots settling in
Carolinas, but often closer to seaboard.

Ken

http://www.ancestry.com/s13969/rd.ashx

This thread: