From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Kim TallBear, et al.
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:01:15 -0600

Malcolm Dodd wrote:

> I believe that Kim Tallbear does not wish to see tribal affiliation set
> by DNA test results. She has every right to hold that view. Others will
> differ.

I have not commentd of this thread, but there is one big thing:

Tribal Affiliation is not the name as American Indian affiliation.

Of course DNA can establish tribal affiliation per se through
direct paternity or maternity tests, if the father or mother
is a tribal member. But beyond that it is probably presently
impossible to differentiate between tribes by DNA. There was
too much mixing in nearby tribes. Sure, you can probably
find markers that mildly differentiate tribes 4000 miles apart
(except Arctic) but that's about it.

Doug McDonald

This thread: