From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 21/25 match related?
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:38:06 -0500

Peter and Jerry:

If you have deduced the Ancestral Haplotype for your surname projects I
invite you to share your results in my Surname Projects YSTR Mutation
Rate Log.
http://www.ystrlog.org/

Whenever possible, comparison of haplotypes in a surname project should
be made to the Ancestral Haplotype, instead of one participant
referenced to another. See this example in my surname project for a
deduced ancestral haplotype in a surname project.
http://www.kerchner.com/kerchner37mkrs.htm

Charles Kerchner
http://www.kerchner.com/dna-info.htm

wrote:
> In a message dated 3/15/2005 10:31:53 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> writes:
>
> I want to caution people who might dismiss a 21/25
> match with the same surname from the same area as not
> being related.
>
> Two Roberts participants from the Bahamas were a 21/25
> match. I confidently declared that their common
> ancestor could not have lived in the Bahamas because
> the first Roberts was not recorded there until 1721 -
> - too many mutations in that short period of time.
>
> The Bahamas DNA Project now has seven different
> Roberts lines who could not be connected via paper
> genealogy. The additional 5 have perfectly spanned
> the distance of that earlier 21/25 match. All seven
> are a 24/25 match with at least one other Bahamian
> Roberts.
>

> I want to very strongly reinforce your experience. I too had a match of
> 8/12 with two COLEs. When the 25 marker data came in, it was 21/25. Additional
> testing of COLEs with excellent paper trails filled in the gap. We
> concluded that the two COLE lines did indeed have a common ancestor based on all
> data, paper and DNA.
>
> Jerry Cole
> Austin, TX

This thread: