Subject: Re: [DNA] Focused Eye Color question
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 04:28:31 EST

In a message dated 3/15/2005 9:26:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> You clearly are the search engine champ of the list. The 19th century
> Germany sample was interesting. I wonder how broadly in Germany they
> sampled (hopefully not just the Baltic coast). I add up 857 brown eyes and
> 5943 blue,gray, or green eyes or blend thereof. According to my knowledge
> of Mendelian dominance, the dominant brown version of the key gene resided
> in only 6 percent of the sampled Germans of that time period. Germany would
> be different today with the large influx of many groups from other lands.

::Flexing Search Engine muscles in bodybuilder pose::
Now you see why I get the big bucks for providing research services for
clients (ok, not big bucks, but bucks enough, anyway)

I should note I also ran across some articles discussing the genetic
determinants of eye color, and I am pretty sure at least one stated eye color wasn't
"strictly Mandelian" or something to that effect.

Here you go...

http://www.seps.org/oracle/oracle.archive/Living_Things.K-5/2003.03/001047365247.16203.ht

Eye and Hair Color Genetics http://www.kumc.edu/gec/support/eyecolor.html

Here's something that might be useful - - a Dansh study
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve& db=OMIM&dopt=Detailed&
tmpl=dispomimTemplate&list_uids=227220

[no break after "&"!}

www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ 2005-02/aaft-moh021105.php