From: Thomas Krahn <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Newbie questions
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:08:27 +0100

Paul:

I'll try to make some comments on your testing plans below:

Paul A Martin wrote:
> To list:
>
> My parents were French Canadians from traditional, large families. The
> original male ancestors in Quebec for 3 of my grandparents (Martin,
> Bourassa/Bourasseau, and Plante) emigrated from the La Rochelle area of
> France in the mid 1600s. The 4th male line (Payeur/Payer/Bayer) goes
> back to a German soldier from Ruckingen who remained in Quebec after the
> American Revolution. I am interested in getting maximal information
> about the deep maternal and paternal ancestry of my 4 grandparents and,
> I suspect, I will have to bear most of the cost for testing, The large
> pool of potential donors include the following:
>
> 1. for paternal grandfather:
> a. Y-DNA: me or my father's brother >>>> OK
> b. mtDNA: any daughter of my father's sisters >>>> WRONG
All the daughters of your father's sister have their mtDNA from your
paternal grandmother. You can't get any information on your paternal
grandfather's mtDNA unless you have some trace-samples from him himself,
like a licked stamp or teeth and bones etc. Alternative: If your
paternal grandfather has had a sister, you could try to find a
"granddoughter" in a sraight female lane from her to get some info on
your grandfather.

> 2. for paternal grandmother:
> a. Y-DNA: any of her brother's direct male descendents >>>> WRONG
She has no Y chromosome at all. So you can't find out anything.

> b. mtDNA: my father's brother or any daughter of my
> father's sisters >>>> OK
> 3. for maternal grandfather:
> a. Y-DNA: any of his direct male descendents >>>> OK
> b. mtDNa: any daughter of my mother's sisters >>>> WRONG
They have the mtDNA from your maternal grandmother. You can't get any
information on your maternal grandfather's mtDNA unless you have some
trace-samples from him himself, like a licked stamp or teeth and bones
etc. Alternative: If your maternal grandfather has had a sister, you
could try to find a "granddoughter" in a sraight female lane from her to
get some info on your grandfather.
> 4. for maternal grandmother:
> a. Y-DNA: any of her brother's direct male descendents >>>> WRONG
No Y chromosome at all.
> b. mtDNA: me
>
> I have the following questions:
>
> 1. Have I selected an appropriate pool of potential donors?
> 2. If I order 7 or 8 test kits (FTDNA), can I freeze the
> samples until I can afford to have tests done?
> 3. I have not found surname projects for the Bourassa and
> Payeur lines. To save costs, can I "piggyback" those samples
> on some other surname project?
> 4. I am planning on running 37 marker tests for Y-DNA. Is that
> foolish? I image that in the long run it is cheaper to do
> that than to upgrade 12 and 25 marker tests at a later time.
> 5. It appears that I have Ameridian ancestors that go back 7-10
> generations. Is it the case that it would not be productive
> to do additional test to determine Ameridian ancestry?

Have you considered to test markers on the X-chromosome?
What exactly do you want to find out about your grandparents?
Do you want to establish a link to another part of the family that is in
question?
You could save a lot of testing costs if you knew exactly what to prove.

Best regards,

Thomas Krahn

--
Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Krahn biotix GmbH
Tel.: +49-331 / 2300 452 Hermannswerder Haus 14

This thread: